I made my Aunt Katie’s Best Banana Bread for breakfast this morning. This is one of our favorite recipes, and it hasn’t changed much from the hand me down directions from when I was little. You can add more bananas if they are small – just make sure they are very ripe, and mash the bananas until there are no lumps. That is the real key to a wonderful, sweet banana bread.
I have been playing with the sugar amount in this recipe. I think it’s pretty sweet and may try 1 3/4 c. of sugar the next time. I’ll change the recipe if it works out!
This banana bread can be mixed up the night before and put into the refrigerator. It really helps with flavor to mix everything up beforehand! I also reduced the temperature after preheating the over to 350 degrees to 325 degrees. If you reduce the sugar, browning may not happen as quick and you may find the temperature reduction isn’t needed.
Aunt Katie’s Best Banana Bread
Try Aunt Katie’s Banana Bread with our homemade spreadable butter!Print
Aunt Katie’s Banana Bread
My Aunt Katie always had this special banana bread waiting when we came home from school. It’s light and sweet and goes perfectly with our homemade spreadable butter!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 75
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 9 slices 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 2 sticks unsalted softened butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. Real Salt (sea salt)
- 3 cups of unbleached white flour
- Chopped nuts and chocolate chips for topping (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or grease two 8″ x 4″ glass pans.
- Combine the cinnamon, salt, and flour – the dry ingredients, and set aside.
- In a heavy-duty mixer with a cookie paddle attachment combine 1 cup softened butter and 2 1/2 cups sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add 3 large eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add in the 2 tsp. of vanilla.
- In a small bowl dissolve 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda in 1 cup of sour cream. Add to the butter and egg mixture, beating well again.
- Add the dry ingredients. Mix again until the flour is well incorporated.
- TURN OVEN DOWN to 325 degrees. Spread in pans, bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes, or until knife comes out clean.
Keywords: banana bread, quick bread
We normally sprinkle chocolate chips on top of banana bread! Sprinkle about 1/3-1/2 cup chocolate chips on top of each loaf if desired. Use a butter knife to poke the chips slightly down into the batter. Top each with 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts.
The battery in the camera died before I could take a picture after it was baked, and hot banana bread doesn’t last long in our big family. I’ll have to grab it the next time. I’d love to see how yours turns out if you’d like to share in the comments!