Last updated on October 3rd, 2018 at 03:48 pm
This pancake recipe is sure to become a favorite – Buttery Whole Wheat Pancakes will be a loved recipe for your family’s breakfast. It can be adapted to add your favorite spices – think pumpkin in the fall and Speculaas at Christmas. Or how about a little buttermilk in place of regular milk? I use freshly milled soft white for this recipe. If you don’t have a mill, you can use unbleached white, but it won’t soak up the milk as much, so you’ll probably need less flour.
If you use whole grain, it’s a surprising treat to those who think whole wheat doesn’t taste yummy.
Buttery Whole Wheat Pancakes
This recipe is from my whole grain cookbook, Baby’s First Foods. While the title suggests a baby only cookbook, this is an instructional whole grain cookbook that teaches you to use a whole grain mill, large mixer and pressure cooker for grains and beans. This recipe is in the section Family Recipes. My grandbabies love our pancakes, and I’ll bet the bigger kids in your family will love these also. You can purchase the Baby’s First Foods here.
Make a recipe of our spreadable butter and get your maple syrup or honey ready! I hope you enjoy this special pancake recipe.Print
Whole Wheat Buttery Pancakes
Enjoy whole wheat pancakes that are buttery and fluffy. We use freshly milled whole wheat for this recipe. This is the best whole grain pancake recipe and comes from my whole grain cookbook, Baby’s First Foods by Theresa Powers.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 10 people 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups whole milk (2 c. to start. Up to 7 c. of milk will be added)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla or favorite extract (Occasionally we add 2 tsp of our favorite powdered spice, especially if it’s it a holiday!)
- 5 cups whole wheat pastry flour aka soft white wheat (We use freshly ground wheat using a home grain mill)
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup tofu powder (optional)
- spreadable butter (Video! See how we make it!)
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Heat together the milk and butter. Lightly beat eggs and extract together. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add the milk mixture and the eggs.
- Whisk until blended. Start adding more milk, one cup at a time (I used 5 more cups.) Whole wheat flour will soak up liquid so I recommend letting the batter sit for 10 minutes to make sure it remains at a consistency you desire. If you need to add more milk, I would whisk in 1/2 c. at a time.
- The batter gets wonderfully smooth if you let it rest. Test a pancake!
- Flip and get some real butter – see our recipe for spreadable butter!
- Add maple syrup, fruit and enjoy!