Clear all

Friday Night Pizza

8 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
(@annjoy)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Every Friday night we make pizza. That's been a tradition since we've been married. Here's our recipe for dough and sauce.

Dough - Makes 3 Large Pizzas - Oven 400 degress
3 c. warm water
2 Tbsp. yeast
2-3 Tbsp. honey or 2 Tbsp sugar (crispier crust with sugar)
Approx. 6 cups unbleached white flour - enough to clean the bowl

If you're using something like a Bosch, mix for 3-4 minutes and let rest. Roll onto your pizza pans.

Pizza Sauce:
Saute 1/2 Tbsp. of minced garlic in 1 Tbsp. olive oil
Add 1 Tbsp. thyme and Italian seasoning, Saute for a few more minutes.

Homemade Pizza Sauce

Add:
15oz. can of tomato sauce
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. salt

Heat sauce for about 15 minutes. You can make this ahead of time and put in the refrigerator until ready to make the pizza.

For white pizza we do this:
Saute fresh mushrooms and garlic in 3 Tbsp. butter.
I like olive oil and balsamic vinegar spread on the crust - feta cheese, the mushroom mixture, mozzarella, and any other toppings.  

We bake ours for 20-25 minutes. 

Homemade Pizza

Posted : September 25, 2020 6:17 pm
Amy H
(@amy-harter)

Sounds delish. I will have to try your dough recipe this week. We do Friday pizza too, although I've either thrown my ingredients in the bread machines on "dough" setting or in a pinch buy premade pizzas. We all always prefer homemade because... the house smells like a pizzeria and it tastes so good! 

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. RLStevenson

Posted : September 28, 2020 8:48 pm
Theresa reacted
(@annjoy)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

@amy-harter I used a dough machine for a long time when they were smaller. They start eating like adults very quickly lol So I normally use my Bosch and have left-over dough. I let that sit in the refrigerator and ferment a few days, then we use it for lunch.
I want to mess with putting butter in our recipe. I'm trying for a Ledo's pizza type crust, do you all have Ledo's ? We don't have them in Colorado, it's mainly an east coast chain.

Posted : September 29, 2020 7:27 am
Amy H
(@amy-harter)

@annjoy I've never heard of Ledos:) but I am interested in how your butter recipe turns out 'cause we all know everything is better with butter! Curious about your flour- are you using purchased or ground whole wheat? So far our fav is half AP and half soft white wheat. 

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. RLStevenson

Posted : September 29, 2020 10:35 am
Theresa reacted
(@annjoy)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @amy-harter

Curious about your flour

I don't always use whole grain for pizza, but if I do, I mill grain and do 1/2 and 1/2. So I would use unbleached white and 1/2 wheat or spelt. We love spelt just as much as wheat, or Kamut.

Wanted to add that I've never purchased whole wheat flour from the store, so I can't compare the taste to freshly milled - I do know the germ oil is removed from purchased whole grain flours at the store, making it 'almost' comparable to white flour. 

Posted : September 29, 2020 11:19 am
(@working-pantry)

I love that you included mixing times for the Bosch (I have one).  I'll definitely be trying the dough recipe since that little tip was included.  Thanks!

Posted : October 12, 2020 6:29 pm
Theresa reacted
(@annjoy)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @working-pantry

I love that you included mixing times for the Bosch (I have one). 

Most of my recipes are with a Bosch. I've tried our dough in our Kitchen Aid too, but guess what. It lasted a year 🙁 I have a Bosch from 2003 (Concept) and a newer one. My Bosch Concept is still going strong. I did have a Bosch bonk out though, after only a few years. If my new Bosch goes, I'll be going for a different commercial mixer.

Posted : October 12, 2020 6:53 pm
(@annjoy)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @amy-harter

We bake ours for 20-25 minutes. 

What temperature?

I'm pretty sure 400 degrees. 

Posted : October 18, 2020 2:02 pm
Share: