Last updated on May 8th, 2019 at 01:38 pm
I’ve always wanted a cast iron skillet. I like the idea of packing good eats into it and putting it the oven to bake up – there’s something dessert and dinner comfortable about that idea. I’ve always thought the cast iron skillets were just too small for our us. My sister offered me one she just hadn’t used much, so gave it a go! My husband seasoned it up and I made my first skillet chocolate chip cookie. It came out perfect, and no sticking. I’m hooked. I want an 18″ cast iron skillet.
What can you say about a big chocolate chip cookie. It’s big, it’s soft and very much in need of my favorite coffee ice cream.
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
The first thing you want to do is melt the 9 tablespoons of butter in your skillet. I browned mine to give the cookie a nutty flavor. It’s not hard to brown butter, just don’t burn it. I used the splattering of butter as a gauge for time, it took about 5 minutes for it to die down and the butter had a nice light brown color. Perfect. TRANSFER to another bowl.
Next you’ll add 3 more tablespoons of butter – let it melt in, add your sugar, salt and vanilla. Whisk. Make sure it’s cooled off and whisk in your eggs. Whisk until nice and smooth!
Whisk in flour a little at time, until a dough forms. It’s okay to start mushing it altogether with your hands.
Add the chocolate chips and form your dough.
Press it in and bake it up. It’s a perfect chocolate chip cookie dessert. I made my slices smaller and can easily get 10 out of this dessert. Serve with coffee ice cream!
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
Using a well maintained cast iron skillet makes this chocolate chip cookie dessert exceptionally delicious!
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 10 slices 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 3/4 c. unbleached flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 12 Tbsp. unsalted butter (separated 9, 3)
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 large egg and 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the flour and baking in a dish. Set aside.
- Melt and brown 9 Tbsp. of butter in the skillet. To brown, on medium heat, keep an eye on the melting, and stir occasionally. The butter should stop spattering and start to turn an amber color. About 5-7 minutes. Don’t burn it!
- Transfer the browned butter to larger glass dish.
- Drop the extra 3 Tbsp. of butter in the skillet, melt and pour into the browned butter. WIPE the skillet out with a dry paper towel.
- Add the sugar, salt and vanilla, and whisk.
- Make sure it’s not too warm and whisk in the egg and egg yolk. As you whisk the batter it will turn lighter.
- Start to sprinkle the flour mixture and whisk as you sprinkle. A dough will form.
- Incorporate the chocolate with your hands.
- Press the dough into the skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning the skillet once 1/2 through the cooking time.
- Enjoy with coffee ice cream!
Keywords: Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie