There are a few variations of brown sugar cookies. In my recipe, I decided to spice them up just a bit and reduce the sugar and flour slightly. “The Best Brown Sugar Cookies with Perfect Maple Glaze” are not as fat and cakey, but crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
The Best Brown Sugar Cookies with Perfect Maple Glaze
I have a few notes about the ingredients in the recipe. The Speculaas spice below is from King Arthur Flour online. It appears to only be available during the holidays. See the recipe notes.
To make the perfect cookie glaze, add meringue powder! It creates the nice hardening for the glaze that makes the cookies beautiful, but still delicious. Don’t add too much – we aren’t talking about the glaze being like candy. It’s hard on top but soft under. In this recipe is 3 tsp. I even froze them with the glaze.
Best Brown Sugar Cookies with Perfect Maple Glaze
These cookies are sweet and with our choice of spices very flavorful. Add the Perfect Maple Glaze and they are immediately a favorite!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 Dozen 1x
- Category: Dessert, Tea Time
- Cuisine: American
Dry Ingredients – mix and set aside
- 3 3/4 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tsp Speculaas Spice (Combo of cardamom, mace or nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves.) (Substitute 2 Tsp. of cinnamon for speculaas. You can find this ingredient at King Arthur Flour online during the holidays.)
- 2 tsp vanilla, coffee or chocolate extract
Perfect Maple Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp maple extract
- 3 tsp meringue powder
- Mix and set aside your dry ingredients. Cream butter and sugars.
- Add the large eggs and extract.
- Cream again until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture 1 cup at a time, beating in after each cup.
- Test one cookie, bake at 8 minutes. If it comes out right, fill a tray and bake at 10-11 minutes. While the cookies are baking, make the maple glaze.
- This glaze can be made with different extracts. How about coffee, or chocolate? Oh, that sounds yummy! If you use coffee extract, add a teaspoon of espresso powder! The meringue powder is an excellent addition to make a perfect glaze. It hardens the top just slightly and keeps the glaze soft underneath.
- You can glaze the cookies slightly warm. JOY! They are delicious. They freeze beautifully, even with glaze.
Keywords: brown sugar cookies, maple glaze, fall cookie recipes