Best Brown Sugar Cookies with Perfect Maple Glaze
These cookies are sweet and with our choice of spices very flavorful. Add the Perfect Maple Glaze and they are immediately a favorite!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 Dozen
- Category: Dessert, Tea Time
- Cuisine: American
Dry Ingredients – mix and set aside
- 3 3/4 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tsp Speculaas Spice (Combo of cardamom, mace or nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves.) (Substitute 2 Tsp. of cinnamon for speculaas. You can find this ingredient at King Arthur Flour online during the holidays.)
- 2 tsp vanilla, coffee or chocolate extract
Perfect Maple Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp maple extract
- 3 tsp meringue powder
- Mix and set aside your dry ingredients. Cream butter and sugars.
- Add the large eggs and extract.
- Cream again until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture 1 cup at a time, beating in after each cup.
- Test one cookie, bake at 8 minutes. If it comes out right, fill a tray and bake at 10-11 minutes. While the cookies are baking, make the maple glaze.
- This glaze can be made with different extracts. How about coffee, or chocolate? Oh, that sounds yummy! If you use coffee extract, add a teaspoon of espresso powder! The meringue powder is an excellent addition to make a perfect glaze. It hardens the top just slightly and keeps the glaze soft underneath.
- You can glaze the cookies slightly warm. JOY! They are delicious. They freeze beautifully, even with glaze.
Keywords: brown sugar cookies, maple glaze, fall cookie recipes